DM-5, SM AFR Problem: "rc"

Moderators: PLXSupport_PM, PLXSupport_DF, PLXSupport_PL, PLXSupport_TO

DM-5, SM AFR Problem: "rc"

Postby mxmumpwr » Thu May 22, 2008 7:52 am

Original issue occured when my wideband fuse blew, no rhyme or reason. Once the fuse was replaced, the guage would read only "rc" at startup then go black. I've run every test listed and directed by a PLX technician. I have checked all connections 20+ times and even changed the power plug. O2 seems funcioning, giving the proper readouts. O2 wires under car were also checked and found to be secure.

I have spoken to a technician regarding this issue. I returned the SM AFR for repair: RMA040807. The return sheet indicated the unit was replaced. Of confusion though is that there is indication that my old unit was tested and passed all checks (or is the test results verifying the new unit passes all tests)? Either way, I have been unsuccessful in getting through by email or phone. The new unit is functioning EXACTLY the same as my old one. At start up, guage reads "rc" for several seconds then goes black. Is there any means to check the guage itself, ohms, etc? I suppose I should have sent the guage back too for inspection/servicing. What do I need to do to check the guage or get it replaced? I was told not to drive my car with the wideband not functioning, it's been more than a month now given shipping and turn around time frames. Please help! As always, much appreciation!
mxmumpwr
User

Postby PLXSupport_PL » Fri May 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Have you connected the gauge properly to the SM-AFR per instruction?

http://www.plxdevices.com/InstallationI ... sGuide.pdf
PL
PLX Engineer
www.plxdevices.com
PLXSupport_PL
Site Admin

Postby mxmumpwr » Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 am

Guage is connected properly. As indicated, guage and wideband operated flawlessly for months of use. Everything is connected, tight, and secure.

Tech inspection sheet of the old unit indicated a bad guage output. What is the chance that damage has been incurred on the guage?
mxmumpwr
User

Postby mxmumpwr » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:10 am

It's been about 4 months now and still trying to figure this out. It seems like it is weeks between contacts. Last email recieved was on 6/03/08. I've sent a couple emails replying since then. I feel my questions are simple but somehow get complicated.

Currently, my simple question I can't get an answer to is this: Is there any way to test the guage itself to assess if it is damaged? So can ohms be tested through the circuit to tell us anything?
mxmumpwr
User

Postby PLXSupport_PL » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:15 pm

The only way to test the gauge it to power it on with a 3.3V source. This will test the power on.

To test the numbers on the DM-5 gauge you'll have to connect it to a sensor module.

There's no way to test it with a DMM or other equipment without proper training.
PL
PLX Engineer
www.plxdevices.com
PLXSupport_PL
Site Admin

Return to M-Series Wideband Controllers